Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Saturday, March 24, 2007
  It's not quite the same kinda global brand I'd associate with CitiBank
Until recently, I'd never heard of Herbalife. Heck, I've now heard of them but still don't really have a clue what they sell. Maybe that's why they are forking out all this money so people like me will buy their product. I dunno. I think I would have preferred to wear CitiBank on my chest. However, the money is good, though not what had been rumored a few weeks ago. Bottom line, they sealed the deal.

Now, I guess I can't really have too much of a beef on the Herbalife deal. I mean, back in my youth, I'd have probably jumped at the "Herb O' Life" name in a StickyGreen/420/KGB kinda way. But I'm grown up now (well, unless you ask my wife) and that type of thing doesn't bring quite the same humor. Well, I was a Beavis and Butthead addict as well....but I'm probably admitting more than I should.

Actually, I really shouldn't complain too much about the name of sponsors on shirts. Back in the early Nineties, Ipswich had a local company named Fisons as their sponsor. Why not? They are based in Ipswich (well, before they were bought out) and produced a product which was used in the area. However, when you realize that Fisons was a chemical company who produced fertilizer....well, it really was an invitation to rival fans to comment on how "shit" we were.

But money is money and as I'm not paying the bills, I guess I'll just have to shut up and advertise a company I know nothing about.

Which leads me to 2 final comments. 1) Herbalife is spending a lot of money to get their name out yet I really don't know much about them (nor do I have the desire to) I must not be in their target demographic. 2) They sure have a ton of cash available in their marketing budget...there's got to be a decent markup on their product.

UPDATE: My buddy Dan Loney has now caught me up to speed with his piece(s) on Herbalife. I kinda wish I hadn't read them now.

Labels: , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]