Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Friday, April 21, 2006
  Now that's a Classic
I haven’t been able to post as much as I’d like lately, but now that I’ve got a few minutes, I’ve got to comment on Saturday’s Derby match at the HDC. Wow!!! Now that’s how to start a rivalry. It's taken a year to get a classic match which makes the meetings a Classico.

Last season, the first 5 (yes, I count the Open Cup) matches between these two sides were a joke. However, Saturday could have gone either way. The Goats must have thought their time had come…but Glen had to snatch it from them deep in injury time.

It’s a game that will be talked about for a long time—much like a game that I’m still trying to forget up in San Jose. About time too. All this talk about the Goats joining MLS and being contenders was starting to really get amusing.

Anyway, I’m glad I stayed up until after 1 AM (I’m in the Eastern Time Zone these days) to see that finish. Well worth the lack of sleep.

It’s funny, I’ve become really positive about the league in general this season…and that match only added to my enjoyment.

Something else happened this week that made me happy. Former Galaxy fan favorite, Alexi Lalas, will take over as the Galaxy GM. Now, I thought it a possibility with the recent developments at the Meadowlands.

I’m not sure how Alexi is on the business side of things. Doug Hamilton did a great job there. However, what Lalas will bring is something Hamilton seemed lacking…and that was being a politician. As great a person as Hamilton was, he wasn’t the public face that Lalas is. Add to that the fact that he’ll be able to attract more media attention to the team. Where can ya go wrong?

So, it’s been a good week there. I need to catch up on some reading to see what else I’ve been missing…but I guess I can’t have everything.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]