Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Thursday, March 02, 2006
  Busy week
I  cannot believe this is the first time in over a week that I’ve had the chance to actually sit down in front of my computer and post something.  Boy, has my life changed.  The good news is that I still caught a couple of games during that time…the bad news is that I completely forgot to record the US game yesterday…I’m still kicking myself on that one.  I saw the highlights yesterday and it seems the US did well.  It wasn’t that long ago that the US had never beaten a European team in Europe…what’s that, three now?  

So, LA could only manage a 0-0 draw at home to Saprissa last week.  Actually, I wasn’t too disappointed by the result.  For a team in preseason, I thought LA actually looked good.  They moved the ball around well and created some good chances…they just couldn’t finish them.  With another two weeks together, I can see LA managing to move on.

It doesn’t seem that long ago that the Champions Cup was almost an after thought.  Teams would all meet in one place—usually LA but Vegas was the destination once—and play a single elimination competition.  It’s making steps in the right direction.  The current home/away format seems to be bringing bigger crowds to games and heck, it’s on TV!!  I’d love to see it grow even further.  Perhaps having more than MLS and Mexican teams with a couple Costa Rican teams with whoever else makes it through the qualifiers entering at this stage.  I’m sure one more round won’t kill the MLS or Mexican clubs but I’m sure the argument against is money.  I’m sure the USSF has a fair bit of say in how the Champions Cup is run…isn’t it ironic that my desired changes for both competitions are much the same?  Maybe not.  Either way, things are still moving in the right direction and you have to love that.

Oh, and how ‘bout the Man Utd Bucs showing up to play on Sunday?  Glazier brought them some silverware.  I wonder what the FCUM supporters made of that.  I haven’t seen/heard any protests lately.

More later.
 
Comments:
Welcome back, Eric. Glad to see you up & posting again. Drop me a line when you get a chance. Nice Donovan-less pre-season win vs. the Houston Your-Name-Heres.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]