Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Monday, February 20, 2006
  Is it cold enough?
In know the Snow Games are in Italy right now, but yesterday Guatemala sent their Diving Team to Texas to face the US even though China is still 2 years off.   It really was bad.  You could tell the Guatemalans would have preferred to be elsewhere…anywhere else but on that pitch in the cold.  It seemed like by the second goal they just wanted to get the 90 minutes over with, go in, and get some Hot Chocolate.

Anyway, here are some thoughts I had while watching the match:


Ok, so it wasn’t a great test.  The Guatemalan backline was a shambles and the midfield…was there one?  All their strikers seemed to do was stand in an offside position all afternoon.  Eddie Pope had no problem sorting them out.  

Is Arena going to use an all Europe based squad for the next couple of matches?  We’ll see.  
 
Comments:
I totally agree with you on the entire Nike ball issue. It's awful.
 
Actually, that was the men's result--I caught the end of the game in my hotel room in London. The US team is, sadly, playing up to the level that was expected of them going into it. The defense is old and slow, and the goaltending is much too green. It's not a case of not taking it seriously, it's a matter of the talent not being available--most of the 2002 squad is either retired or over the hill anyway.

The women's semifinal penalty shootout loss against Sweden was definitely disappointing, breaking up the expected USA v Canada final.

Sure, PZ, I go to England, and you suddenly start posting. What gives, eh? ;) But, I imagine this picture of me will amuse you in some way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97372305@N00/102687762/

That ball is awful, I agree. Meh.
 
It could have been the women's game for all I know. I really haven't followed the Olympics much...too busy with work, new house and baby...only have just enough time to watch some footie. Priorities firmly in place. :)

KJ, say it ain't so. Visiting Carrot Road and hanging with the inbreeds is a sad thing. You'd have had a much better time (and seen a better stadium/team) had you gone to Portman Road. Hope you can wash off the smell from Naarich. ;)
 
Hockey's my first love, though I've been enjoying a lovely affair with soccer for a while now. But, I spent the first ten days of the Olympics in England, so I didn't really follow it that closely, but I did catch some of the coverage on BBC. I swear Bill Clement was doing commentary on their hockey coverage, though it seemed awfully toned-down for him.

I saw Portaloo Road briefly from the train on the way to Norwich. Surprisingly modern-looking stadium from the outside, I must say. ;) It is amusing (to me--I'm easily amused) that we both support a yellow team and a blue team on either side of the pond, just reversed.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]