Is it cold enough?
In know the Snow Games are in Italy right now, but yesterday Guatemala sent their Diving Team to Texas to face the US even though China is still 2 years off. It really was bad. You could tell the Guatemalans would have preferred to be elsewhere…anywhere else but on that pitch in the cold. It seemed like by the second goal they just wanted to get the 90 minutes over with, go in, and get some Hot Chocolate.
Anyway, here are some thoughts I had while watching the match:
- Is it just me or does the new home (blue) jersey look like a re-release of a jersey from 10 years ago?
- Olson’s goal….WOW!!
- Three “LA Old Boys” playing for Guatemala.
- Every 5 minutes or so you see Sweden 2-1 USA (Olympic Hockey) scroll across the screen. Why do I find this amusing? For starters, how many practices did the US team have before their first match? Something tells me they aren’t taking this competition seriously and the results show it. I wonder if the Baseball World Series…errr Classic, will produce similar results for the US…if players ever decide what team they want to be on.
- Nice to see Brad Guzan get a cap. How ‘bout going from bench warmer on a team he wasn’t wanted on to getting your first cap in 12 months. Even though I’m supposed to hate his club team, I like the guy, the way he’s played this year and his attitude doing things. He won’t get another cap for a while, but yesterday was a good reward for a good season.
- Then again, there’s Pando who couldn’t get a starting gig in LA but is a regular starter for Guatemala. This may just show how far MLS has come.
- Eddie Johnson is heading to KC. Well, the Wiz just got better.
- Brian Ching, what a well-taken goal! The guy worked hard yesterday but just didn’t make much of an impression.
- Is Dave O’Brian related to John? Yet another American commentator who needs to learn to shut up occasionally.
- Ok, so this has been bothering me during all the recent friendlies. That new Nike ball…or at least the colors on it seem to make the ball look lopsided as it spins. Is it just my poor vision? It really does get distracting.
- 14k plus at PHP yesterday and it seemed like most were there to support the US. That has to be a first against a neighbor to the south in a border state.
- Only on the pitch a minute and we see the old Eddie Johnson. He must prefer blue to the red and white hoops at PHP. Good to see him back on form.
Ok, so it wasn’t a great test. The Guatemalan backline was a shambles and the midfield…was there one? All their strikers seemed to do was stand in an offside position all afternoon. Eddie Pope had no problem sorting them out.
Is Arena going to use an all Europe based squad for the next couple of matches? We’ll see.