Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
  Note to self: Buy the MLS PPV package next season you dork
So, here we are on a Wednesday with 4 games on tap tonight...and no way for me to watch them on TV. They should make interesting viewing.

Top on my list would be the Dallas-LA encounter. Dallas have a tough time winning in their new home while LA have a tough time winning on the road. This should be interesting. What makes this even more interesting is that Dallas head to LA next Wednesday for the Open Cup Final against LA...and then will probably stay in town for a league match back at the HDC. On top of that, it looks like the two sides will be facing each other in the first round of the playoffs next month. Guess they'd both better get used to seeing each other.

The blue boys in No Cal could wrap up the Western Conference title tonight against Chicago. I wonder what Ann Killion will be reporting tomorrow?...though I won't read it.

Will Columbus be removed for the playoffs tonight or will New England give up another 5 goals?

Heck, even the Colorado - RSL match-up could be worth looking into. If RSL is to make the playoffs, they have to beat the only team they can catch. If the Rapids gain a point on the road, they wrap up the final playoff spot.

But the only way I'll see these games is on the net and with only a dialup connection at home right now, it's not worth the effort. So, there's no chance I'll miss out on buying the package next season.

On to some other things I've noticed this week.

Life sure can be difficult for soccer stars in this country. Actually, it's a very interesting piece on the financial situation Andy Williams has got himself into during his journey around various MLS teams. I know I've had jobs that moved me around a bunch...but not to the extent that Andy has moved. I seem to recall that young NBA players had to take classes in Financial Management a few years ago. I wonder if the MLSPA would think something like that useful. With all the youngsters coming into the league these days, it might be a good idea. Players making good money should suddenly be in money trouble just because they are forced to take a massive paycut.

I'm not condoning their actions...but these have to be the most hardcore and innovative soccer fans around.

A chartered jet carrying 289 Gambian soccer fans pretended it needed to make an emergency landing so they could watch their team compete in the FIFA Under 17 World Championships, officials said Wednesday.

The plane, claiming to be low on fuel, landed Tuesday near the stadium in Peru's northern coast city of Piura.
...and this was only the U-17! What would they do if their boys ever made the World Cup? What the article doesn't explain was what lead them to take such drastic action. Couldn't they have just filed a flight plan or something?

Ok, so I've read a lot of opinions elsewhere about John Harkes' comments in the NJ Star-Ledger yesterday. What I'm wondering is, where's the news here? It's been no secret that Harkes wants to coach...preferably an MLS side. Rochester was working overtime last year to get him on board...but he turned them down. The Metros have been disappointing this (and every) season and Bradley's days could be numbered. But I wouldn't jump so fast if I was Metro GM, Alexi Lalas. After all, Bradley has been successful in the past, he's taken over a mess that needed some serious cleaning up and, in my opinion, he's making some progress. On top of all that, Ives Galarcep agrees with me.
In the end, the Metros should keep Bradley because he is still one of the best coaches in the American game and replacing him just for the sake of making a change would be foolish.
I guess this will be an interesting story to watch in the next few months.

San Jose are on the brink of a first in MLS. Of course, I have to point out that a certain rival knocked them out of the Open Cup on their own turf just a few weeks ago, but that's only a minor point. One key to their success this season has been the performance of Alejandro Moreno. I always thought Moreno was much better than the time he got on the pitch in LA. I was sad to see him leave, but with the need LA had for Todd Dunivant I can understand why the trade was made. I'm glad he's doing well, I just wish he was now with any other team.
 
Comments:
maybe andy williams can sing "moon river" at half time to raise funds for his 4 bedroom house in Salt Lake and to pay for the over upgraded house in Chicago.
 
How can you call yourself a soccer junkie and not subscribe to MLS Direct Kick?

Put your money where it matter, dude!
 
The arrival of my son (born May 13, 2005) caused me to see the need to conserve as much money as possible. This is my first season in years without it...and I've been kicking myself all summer without it.

No worries, I won't make the same mistake next year.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]