Ramblings of a Soccer Junky
Friday, May 20, 2005
  What's on my TV this weekend?
One of the great things about living in the US during the era of Satellite TV is that every weekend of the year, there’s soccer on TV. Ya gotta love modern technology.

So, every Friday I take a break from my slacking at work and plan my TV viewing for the weekend. Naturally, the FA Cup Final is the biggie tomorrow. There’s no chance I’ll be missing that even if I hate both of the teams playing in Cardiff.

However, beyond that, the pickings are slim. There are no other Premiership matches. I don’t get Setanta so I can’t watch the playoff battle between Southend and Northampton (it’s hard to believe that it wasn’t that long ago that Southend were fighting for a Premiership spot)

So, that leaves MLS matches to round off the weekend.

Metros at New England could be interesting. I haven’t seen Djorkaeff yet and the Revs are playing some good ball right now. However, I’m not a big fan of ESPN’s day games. The stadiums are usually empty (lots of people I’m guessing save their ticket and at home) and they usually play at half-pace…or at least that’s my observation. But I’ll probably check it out for no other reason than to see Clint Dempsey in action.

FSC has DC at KC. How are Max and Alan going to create excitement during their broadcast with this one? They can only talk about Freddy Adu for so long before it gets boring. Honestly, KC is so defensive and DC is…well, they haven’t really done much this season so far to perk my interest.

As I’m in the mountains, I can also chose between the Columbus vs. Salt Lake game on FSN and the Chicago vs. Colorado game on Altitude. Either one of them could be fun.

However, why is it that no one thought the original California Derby would be attractive for a national audience? Okay, it’s true. I’m a bit biased here. But I also think the Chivas vs. Dallas game is pretty attractive as well. I guess I shouldn’t complain I can get 4 of this weekend's 6 matches without the Direct Kick package. But still, it seems whoever makes the call on broadcasts could have done better. I'm sure they could get a ton of promo milage out of the "Landon returns to San Jose" store. But I'm just a fan, what do I know.

At least I can look forward to MLS Wrap and the Monaco Grand Prix early on Sunday.
 
Comments:
Were you able to catch Youri on Saturday, Eric?

He's still got the goods, I'm tellin' you. He's lifting that entire team.
 
Lil PZ was being really fussy during the game and I only caught the last couple minutes. I do plan to make a point of catching a Metros game as soon as possible though. Wish I had Direct Kick this season, I enjoyed all those games on MSG in the past.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
An American who fell in love with soccer while living in Europe.

Name:
Location: Hoosierville, IN, United States
Archives
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]